• If parents/children decide to request a second opinion without consulting the primary medical practitioner, they are free to do so.
• Parents/children in the Princess Máxima Center always have the right to request a second opinion from another pediatric oncologist in the Princess Máxima Center.
• Parents/children in the Princess Máxima Center always have the right to request a second opinion from another Center (also from abroad).
• A pediatric oncologist of the Princess Máxima Center will always help to request a second opinion from abroad:
1. The pediatric oncologist helps you choose a Center with the right expertise.
2. The pediatric oncologist advises on the possible risks of a second opinion from an international colleague with insufficient expertise or of dubious caliber.
3. The pediatric oncologist provides the required information (medical file, letters, etc.).
In principle, health insurers reimburse the costs for a second opinion. The primary medical practitioner advises parents/children to consult with their health insurer prior to requesting a second opinion. Should the health insurer not reimburse the costs of the second opinion, the Princess Máxima Center will work with you to find a solution.
The primary medical practitioner is responsible at patient level for compliance with the right of parents/children to free choice of doctor and second opinion. The clinical director involved is responsible for the department's compliance.